Related Posts with Thumbnails

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Graceling

This past week I had the opportunity to read a new and amazing book called, Graceling by Kristin Cashore. You can check our her blog here to learn more about her debut novel.

I loved that she instantly dropped you into the action of the story. She had a wonderful way of giving you enough detail about the story without overwhelming you with five hundred plus pages. I loved the character developement of Katsa and the Seven Kingdoms. I found this book to be highly entertaining and a joy to read.

I feel that I must warn you that there is some sexual references and the story is about a girl who has a natural gift for killing people. Its not more gory or sexual than, Twilight but since this is a book that is written as a Young Adult book parents and readers should approach it with some caution if violence and sex are uncomfortable for them.

I am looking forward to reading the next two books in this new and exciting series about a world in which those who are born with a special gift have mismatched eyes. They are handled with caution, awe and suspicion since some of them are highly dangerous like Katsa. Katsa is born with a gift for killing and her uncle the King uses her as his personal assassin. However, Katsa is reluctant to be used as a weapon and so she secretly conspires to help and rescue those she is sent to kill. Along the way, she meets other gracelings, as the gifted are known, and her life is changed forever.

3 comments:

Alexa said...

Rik gave me this book two Christmas's ago, and we both loved it!! We decided against letting Kayden read it, just because of the PG-13 rating we gave it, but we both loved it! I'm 3/4 of the way through Fire, and I'm not loving it as much as Graceling. I'll give you my full book report when I get it finished. So far though, the book is not about a Graceling, and the main character is 17, and has a pretty active sex life. *sigh* Kingi really liked Graceling too. How was Spring break?

Jana Perkins said...

You are the second person to tell me about this book. I'll have to try it out.

Joanna said...

I hadn't heard of this book but just requested it from our library - thanks for the review!